Social Work Summer Program
July 1-24, 2020
Program Description: The Paris Summer School is a Social Work program offered by Ecole Pratique de Service Social (Applied Social Service Training School), in Paris, France. It is a unique pathway to understanding the issues facing society in France and Europe today and how French Social Workers deal with them. This programs gives a comprehensive overview of Social Work in France.
Program Location: Classes will take place in our gorgeous 19th century building located in the heart of the Montparnasse area of Paris. The school is close to the Latin Quarter and breath-taking Luxembourg Gardens. It is surrounded by great cafés, restaurants and shops in one of the safest areas of the capital, day or night. The school is fully equipped to meet every international standard.
||Program Fee Includes
||Program Fee Does Not Include
(subject to change)
- $350 application fee
- Tuition for 6 credit hours
- International student identity card
- Cultural activities and excursions
- 2 weekend trips
- 14 Lunches (not on weekends)
- Local transportation pass
- International airfare
- Airport transfer
- Breakfast & dinner
- International health insurance
- Personal expenses
*Please note: We reserve the right to cancel or make changes to the itinerary.
Course Information: The program is divided into multiple formats that include but are not limited to lectures, field visits, and professional placements. This 6-credit hour course is offered at both the undergraduate and graduate level.
- Lectures are in-class, delivered in English by certified teachers and social workers and may include guest presenters.
- Field visits are delivered out of class, in English or translated from French into English.
- Professional placements are carried out in a choice of fields and topics (depending on participant’s level and placement options) in French, with an English speaker on hand.
- Individual or group study provides time to work on presentations or assessment preparation.
- Weekly group supervision sessions help analyze field and placement experience.
Group learning projects and/or presentations, and discussions are also an important part of the course. Some reading will be expected before and during the program.
Course will transfer back as SWRK 4/6945.
Schedule: There is one lecture per day between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm. Afternoons are dedicated to meeting active professionals in their own environment or themed walking tours through Paris that bring the realities of Social Work to life in a unique way. There is one full day of professional placement per week. In addition, each student should expect to undertake at least 1 hour of independent study per day or take part in autonomous group study sessions. Lectures are carried out in English. Evenings are free for you to enjoy the great Parisian life.
Weekend Trips: The program includes two weekend trips. The first trip is tour of Loire Valley, which includes visit to Castles of Clos-Lucé (where Leonardo da Vinci lived and worked), Chambord Castle, Chenonceau Castle, and Wine-tasting in the City of Blois. The second trip includes a visit to Palace of Versailles.
Accommodations: Housing is provided at the Foyer du Dôme (4 rue Leopold Robert), in single, standard or double dorm rooms in a quiet and safe location just minutes away from the school. Your housing is available at no extra cost during the program dates. Amenities include high-speed wireless internet , safe entrance 24/7, library, TV room and foyer, kitchen and laundry room.
Faculty Leader: This program will be led by Professor Elena Delavega of the UofM Department of Social Work. You can contact her at email@example.com or 901-678-3270.