Overview: The Memphis and the World Photo Contest is open to all University of Memphis (UofM) students who have had a recent international experience and international students studying at the UofM.
The deadline to submit an entry is October 4 by 4:00pm.
The three categories include:
- Natural Beauty
- Cultural Immersion
- Tiger Pride
Contest Theme: Entries will be judged on the ability to convey the theme for their selected category. Students may submit one photo for each category. The three categories are described below:
International student entries should reflect these categories as well, in relation to the Memphis community and culture.
- Natural Beauty may include landscapes, beautiful animals, natural wonders, striking portraits, and any subject that represents beauty to you.
- Cultural Immersion could portray a typical activity for the culture explored, a touching interaction you had with someone in your host country, a ceremony that embodies the beliefs of your host country, etc...
- Tiger Pride should showcase your UofM spirit in some way. Photos may include students wearing UofM clothing, holding Pouncer, posing with a UofM banner, etc..
Participants may only enter one photo for each category and the photos must be taken by the individual. All photos should be accompanied with a brief text, 5 sentences max, describing the photo. Submissions will be judged by a committee.
Prizes: General scholarships will be awarded in the spring semester for the 1st place winner of each category.
Submitting a Photo: To begin an entry application, please click "apply now" at the top or bottom of this page. Please Submit a digital jpeg file of the photos to the online application by the deadline with a completed entry form.
Photo Exhibit: Entries may be on display at the Ned R. McWherter Library Rotunda during International Education Week, November 18 - 22, 2019.
Photo Contest Rules:
1. Students may submit 1 photo to each of the following categories:
2. Eligibility - Entries are limited to the following:
- UofM students who have studied abroad - Photo should highlight interacting with the host community abroad
- International students at the UofM - Photo should highlight interacting with the host community in Memphis
3. Incomplete application forms will not be accepted. If you do not wish to submit a photo to once of the categories, please write "N/A" in the submission box for that category.
4. Submit jpeg file to the online application.
5. Both black and white photos and colored photos are acceptable. Please do not submit filtered photos.
6. Submitted photos will not be returned to their owners and shall become the property of The University of Memphis Center for International Education Services (CIES), which will have a non-exclusive license to reproduce said photos in order to highlight international activities.
7. Entries must have been taken within the last 12 months.
8. Scholarship prizes will be reported to and disbursed through the Financial Aid Office in the Spring semester.