British Studies Summer Program
May 29 - June 28, 2020
Program Overview: The British Studies Program, founded in 1976, is organized by the University of Southern Mississippi through an academic consortium of colleges and universities. The purpose of the consortium is to promote a more profound understanding of British culture and society among students and faculty through scholarly and educational activities.
Program Description: In the program, students take one course for six semester hours of credit. Three hours is awarded through lectures, seminars, and field excursions, and three hours through supervised research.
- 6 credits earned over 4 weeks
- Courses taught by British and European scholars, artists, business leaders, and government officials
- Every course requires a supervised research project on a topic related to your studies
- Credit hours are awarded by The University of Southern Mississippi, a fully accredited institution of higher learning
- A supervised trip to Edinburgh is offered as one option for the mini-break
- During the third weekend of the program, students enjoy a four-night mini-break allowing them to travel and sight-see on their own
Course Options: Students take one course for six semester hours of credit. Three hours is awarded through lectures, seminars, and field excursions, and three hours through supervised research. Courses generally meet from Monday through Thursday, with weekends free for individual travel. Excursions and class trips take up the bulk of course time, and lectures are offered by eminent British scholars, artists, business leaders, and government officials.
||Program Fee Includes
||Program Fee Does Not Include
- $300 Program Deposit
- Tuition and fees for 6 semester hours
- Academic excursions.
- $100 UofM application fee
- Round trip international airfare
- International health insurance
- Oyster Card (public transportation)
- WeekendEXPLORE Travel
- Mini Break Travel
- Books and supplies
Housing: Based at The University of Westminster's residence halls, each student has a single room with a shared kitchen.
Optional Group Flight: Airfare is not included in the cost of the program. However, the University of Southern Mississippi (USM) does offer a group flight option departing out of New Orleans, Jackson, Charleston, and Dallas on Friday, May 31 and returning from London on Sunday, June 30. If students wish to fly with the group, they must opt-in by Friday, February 15, 2019. This option can be selected on the application. Group flight cost is $1,300.
Application Procedure: In addition to completing the regular study abroad application, students must also complete the University of Southern Mississippi application process.
Schedule Advising Appointment Email Study Abroad Office